July is a very busy month for Companion Care Animal Hospital because there are so many opportunities for pets to get hurt, overheated or exposed to toxicities. Follow our Summer Safety Do’s and Don’ts to keep your pet safe, healthy and away from the emergency room!
- Provide pets with cool, fresh water at ALL times
- Keep pets up-to-date on vaccinations and medications
- Keep pets indoors during the heat of the day
- Walk your dogs early in the day or later in the evening, when temperatures have cooled
- Limit jogging or bicycling with your dog
- Apply sunscreen to pets, especially those with short hair
- Leave pets unattended in cars. See a time-lapse video showing how fast a parked car heats up.
- Leave dogs outdoors, unattended on a chain or tether
- Allow pets near gardening products, pesticides or fertilizers
- Walk dogs on hot sidewalks or asphalt, which will burn their paws
- Leave pets outside during fireworks displays
- Exercise pets without providing frequent access to water