April is Heartworm Prevention Awareness Month. This disease is so easy to prevent and so difficult to treat! Learn about some facts and myths surrounding heartworm.
Heartworm Disease Facts
- In the United States, there are 22 different mosquito species that carry heartworm. All of them are active at different times of the day and year.
- A heartworm-positive dog in the neighborhood substantially increases the risk of infection to healthy dogs.
- Southeastern Ohio experiences above average heartworm infection rates. There are between 26-99 cases reported per clinic each year.
Heartworm Disease Myths
- FALSE: Indoor pets are safe from heartworm infection.
- FALSE: Cats don’t get heartworm disease.
- FALSE: I could tell if my dog had heartworm disease.
- FALSE: Dogs taking heartworm preventatives shouldn’t be tested every year.
If your cat or dog isn’t on a heartworm preventative, give us a call and make an appointment!